Saturday, March 20, 2010

Weekend Gigs: Exhaustion

As expected, there wasn't much to take from the heavier gig. The sets were sloppy and more emphasis seemed to be placed to attempts at brutality.

Ha.

There was this one kid that kept trying to make a circle pit and was constantly flicking me in the face with his head banging. What did I do? I jumped in the pit and messed him up good. I hadn't been in a 'pit' for quite sometime, even though this one was fairly sedate.

I can still hear Intentions playing in my ears, just a continuation of ringing.

Well, I must say that was the craziest night I've ever seen at the Youthie. Absolute brilliance. Here's how it went down:

First up was We Caught the Craken, a mathcore band from Tamworth. The set was too short to be enjoyed - 2 songs - so I really couldn't take much out of it. It seemed tightly composed with technicality to boot.

The crowd wasn't as big as I'd anticipated for it to be, so that was a bit of a disappointment. I reflected on this as Romeros took to the stage in yet another ridiculously short set. I couldn't get into it. As much as I love them, this was the worst set I've ever seen them play. Lyrics were forgotten, the cover wasn't performed correctly, parts were out of time and there was far too much sweat in the crowd. Ha. I'm just a little old man I guess.

I'd been looking forward to seeing Crouching 80s Hidden Acronym, mainly because I've really only just got around to listening to their EP. I'm planning on writing about it soon, I just need to give it a few more listens. Their set was excellent, fast paced and packed with energy. Although I was upset that they didn't cover Holiday in Cambodia by Dead Kennedys, but oh well I guess At the Drive-In will suffice. Ha. It seemed a little awkward though with various members jumping off the stage and joining the crowd. Maybe there's one member too many in that band? Anyway, I highly enjoyed it.

Surprisingly, The Spontaneous Kevin Costner were excellent tonight. I almost considered leaving just for their set because of how shitty they were last night, but I was so pleased. I even bought their demo, which I am yet to hear. They pack so much enjoyment into their performance that seeps through into the audience. A great experience. Although the vocalist annoys me endlessly with his eccentric dancing and hand movements that seem to be reminiscent of Oli Sykes from Bring Me the Horizon. I managed to block that out and I throughly enjoyed their set. Once major setback was the bassist's foul mouth. Seriously, I don't need to hear the 'c-bomb' whenever I go to a gig. It detracted from their performance.

Intentions. Wow. What a band. I discovered them right at the beginning of this year and I have a digital copy of their 3-track demo. To be honest, I really didn't hear anything special in it at first. I've really only started to appreciate it more and more in the last month. Excellent timing, huh? They played my favourite track - Abdicate, which was truly the highlight of the night. I haven't been to a gig in a long, long time in which a band performs on the floor. It provides such an intimate experience. I had a brief chat to their drummer about Anthrax and he seems like a really nice guy. To help them out a little, I bought a t-shirt which I am still wearing. They topped off a perfect gig.

Tonight's show was by far the best Youthie gig I have ever been to, and perhaps the 2nd best Tamworth show as well. Intentions made the night for me. I was stoked.

No comments:

Post a Comment