Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Two New Ones.

I'm trying to space this out a little. I've had a massive few days with exams and all, so I'm sorry if anybody actually reads this.

The Destruction of Small Ideas by 65daysofstatic: Ever heard an album for the first time and immediately love it to bits? Well, that's how I felt. Last year I got heavily into post-rock for the first time, and I'd never really gotten around to checking out these guys. I'm an idiot. This is well and truly some of the most unique manifestation of post-rock that I've ever come across in my three years of listening to 'real music'. As much as I hate borrowing opinions, particularly from last.fm, I'm going to have to mention the industrial sound these guys have got. It's truly idiosyncratic. They have dense instrumentation that comes off as gritty, coarse and marvelously textured. I've got their entire discography in my library now, and I can promise you that this will be a band that'll stay with me for a long, long time. I feel privileged to listen to it. 5/5.

Landscapes by To The North: I rarely enjoy Australian bands. Maybe I'm just pretentious, well no, I AM pretentious, but this band got me excited. I found them through word-of-mouth after hearing that they'd toured with La Dispute (see past blog) mid-last year. I'm also disappointed that I missed them. This is only an EP, but yet I could sense an incredibly high level of sincerity. Many bands of this mathy-screamo hybrid type genre come off as highly sentimental, attempting to cling to their fleeting youth. To The North aren't like that. Heavily confessional lyrics with "we try these waters / It makes me weak" in tracks such as "Drift Away" that truly redefine as to what it's like to "drift away" top sincere math jams. 3.5/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment