Sunday, March 28, 2010

New Bands

I'll get straight into it this time.

Rockets Red Glare by Rockets Red Glare: I stumbled on this by complete chance on a blog which I wish I'd followed, but now I've lost it. Drats. Rockets Red Glare is a surprisingly minimalist approach to 'hardcore'. Well, they describe themselves as a hardcore band, but it really seems to be more post-punk with pronounced math elements with tracks such as 'Backwards Masking' and 'Trance Nation'. All in all, I enjoyed it. 3.5/5.

The View From This Tower by Faraquet: Upon first listen, I was immediately entranced. The sustained density of the album is truly to be praised. I'm certain that I'll be playing this for quite some time to come. For a purist math rock fan. 4/5.

Everything Goes Wrong by Vivian Girls: It's good, but somewhat limited by the vocalist's range. She seems to be able to only sing in one monotonous tone without venturing or exploring her limits. Shame. Lyrically the album stands out with themes that bind the album together. Each song seems to reflect a chapter. To take anything from it, you've really got to listen to the whole thing in one sitting.

I've got some stuff to do, so that's all for now. There's tons more.

Also, I should mention that I'm heading down to Sydney in a week so I'll be aiming for 5+ gigs. Should be good. YES! Also +1, The Dillinger Escape Plan (my FAVOURITE mathcore band), are coming to Australia! I've never seen them before, so I'm definitely going to be getting in early on the tickets.

No comments:

Post a Comment