Thursday, February 25, 2010

New Bands

I've been super slack with documenting all the stuff I have been listening to...

Bad Luck by Trophy Scars. I'm a massive fan of Native, and these guys were mentioned to me by Bobby Markos so you know, I just had to check it out. I loved it. They aren't similar to Native at all, but they bear a striking resemblance to La Dispute (in a good way, of course). In particular this album, I could hear some really complex metaphors interwoven with screams, yells and singing all bouncing into a sound wave. Track-by-track it also stands apart, with everything from a latin/acoustic sounding El Cowboy Red to an ear-shattering Nola. They have managed to pull it off. I just love it when artists aren't afraid to mix it up and experiment, rather than being plain and boring. Anyway, I enjoyed it. You can make your mind up. 3.5/5.

Sagarmatha by The Appleseed Cast. Funnily enough, I also enjoyed this. Last.fm tells me that they actually used to be 'indebted' to emo bands like Mineral and The Gloria Record (two of my favourites), but here it is virtually impossible to pick. There's some really cool post-rocky noise going on, that is actually incredibly difficult to articulate. You'll just have to go and check them out. 3/5. (Yeah, I'm becoming more conservative with the ratings and all)

Entertainment! by Gang of Four. They are classed as post-punk, but I really don't agree. They've probably got that label just because they're from the late-70s and liked seedy clubs. That's where the comparison ends. I found it relatively boring, nothing fresh. Again, you'll have to make up your own mind. 2/5.

Fortress by Protest the Hero. Here comes the diversity. This is an exceedingly energetic album, with hooks, riffs and supa rad beatz that'll be leaving you disoriented. I'm mainly listening to them due to their impressive technicality, even though the vocalist sounds lame and poppy. Pretty cool, I've got 2 of their other albums which are awesome. 3.5/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment