Thursday, February 4, 2010

Genre: Emo

Wait...I'm gonna talk 'bout the good kind of emo, not the shitty My Chemical Romance type. I've been listening to stacks of first and second wave emo music lately, maybe it's because I'm a miserable bastard. Here's a few albums by various artists that have been passing through my headphones (yes, headphones...not the awful ear-bud ones).

American Football by American Football. This is their first and only full-length, which is a real shame because they're one of my favourite 90s emo bands. Overall the tone is soft, and almost surreal. You can really hear depth in the lyrical quality, almost multi dimensional as it entwines at various stages with the music at melodic highs. This is a great album to listen to just before going to sleep, or in my case, trying to go to sleep. 4.5/5.

Analphabetapolothology by Cap'n Jazz. This band is pretty awesome, but this particular album is more of a retrospective of their complete recorded works. Full of sporadic moments that pound the ears, and nourish the mind. Absolutely loaded with incandescent genius and hyperactive brilliance. 4/5.

Split by Moss Icon and Silver Bearing. Moss Icon are one of my favourite bands of all time, but I hadn't heard of them doing a split with Silver Bearing...and even worse I hadn't noticed it sitting in my library, staring me in the face. It's a unique fusion of the angsty early-hardcore elements of Moss Icon, with the obscurity of Silver Bearing. I can find it at times to be a little overbearing, and perhaps the frequent breakdowns do seem a little self-indulgent. 3/5.

I've been listening to way more, but school work is really starting to catch up on me. Stay tuned

4 comments:

  1. Sunny Day Real Estate! Hot Water Music! Desaparecidos!

    Though by the sounds of "I've been listening to way more" you've probably heard all of those

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rites of Spring destroy all. In a good way, of course. But yeah, I know all those bands. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Headphones suck! I got some proper IEMs a while back - you can't even hear an ambulance siren right next to you! Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete