Thursday, January 21, 2010

#01 Exploding Head By A Place to Bury Strangers

[I just realised I have misspelled the URL of this blog, oh well, I'll live]

A Place to Bury Strangers (alongside My Bloody Valentine) are the band/s that prompted my fascination with the genre of shoegaze. Now enter the new album, Exploding Head that was released on the 12th of October 2009. It was an album that I have truly enjoyed and, I would even love to see them perform live in their upcoming tour, but, I've got other commitments. I know I'm a bit late, but hey, you can't rush it.

Now for the music. In this album APTB certainly to not abandon their reputation as 'New York City's loudest band'. I really love how they whisper their lyrics alongside a heavy sound that leave your ears stunned. It's a real treat.

Below I've posted a link to what is, in my opinion, the best track on the album. It reflects the overall feel of the album in it's entirety.


On a negative note, I really feel disconcerted that Exploding Head is so similar to the previous Self-Titled album. For me, it signifies no progression and exploration of sound. This negative aspect is offset by the sheer experimentation of APTBS, which I find as being a truly admirable trait in any band.

As a final verdict, Exploding Head does live up to it's heavy, loud and rhythmic name that concludes in a sensory overload.

3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment